How Will The End Of Support of Windows 7 Affect Your Healthcare Organization? (Questions & Answers)
Microsoft announced they are stopping mainstream support for Windows 7. This is a popular operating system, so this creates concern for many. All support for Windows 7 will end on January 14, 2020.
What Does Support Ending Mean?
This means that you won’t get bug fixes or security updates from Microsoft. Over time, the security and reliability of Windows 7 will make your computers and ePHI vulnerable:
- Your computers could be infected by malware,
- Your antivirus won’t be updated,
- Your online banking transaction protection may expire, and
- Your patients’ confidential information could be exposed to theft.
Does This Mean Windows 7 Won’t Be Reliable?
Yes – your applications may not be updated, your other software could be incompatible, utilities won’t be supported, and new devices may not connect to your system.
Computer manufacturers will no longer support Windows 7. This means things like printers, desktops, laptops and more won’t be guaranteed to work as they should. Your security programs and third-party browsers won’t support Windows 7. When you browse the Web, you could be exposed to cyber threats. All of this will take place over time.
Should You Purchase A New Computer?
It’s not too early to upgrade to Windows 10. Just be sure that your hardware will support it. If you’re using Windows 7, getting a new device with the Windows 10 operating system is recommended. Today’s computers are faster, more powerful and durable.
Newer computers also have longer battery life and provide increased security. Modern computers are typically less expensive than they were 8 years ago. Total cost of ownership studies concludes that it’s wise to replace your computers at least every four years.
What Are The Benefits Of Upgrading From Windows 7 To Windows 10?
Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10:
- Makes computers run smoother and faster.
- Provides a more economical use of memory and disk space.
- Improves security.
- Boots up your computer from sleep mode faster than before.
- Provides many other benefits.
You can also benefit from features that Windows 7 doesn’t provide:
- Use Cortana – a personal assistant that runs on artificial intelligence (AI).
- Search the Web right from your desktop.
- Get reminders based on time, places, or people.
- Quickly add a virtual desktop.
- With Windows Apps new applications are available on all of your devices.
- A brand new browser – Edge – that’s better suited to the modern web.
- Track packages, teams, interests, and flights.
- Create and manage lists.
- Chit chat and play games.
- Find facts, files, places, and info fast.
- Open any app on your system.
With Windows 10’s new application programming interface called Windows RunTime, your Windows Store Apps are remotely installed and updated. They can also be cleanly uninstalled.
There are RunTime apps for Mail, Photos, Maps, Calendar, Groove Music and more. And you can easily download any of the 700,000 applications from the Windows Store.
How Long Will It Take To Upgrade To Windows 10?
This depends on the age of your computers and how they’re configured. It should only take an hour to do after you’ve downloaded the operating system. New devices upgrade much faster. This is another reason to consider a new computer if it’s 4 years old or older.
Do You Have More Questions About Upgrading To Windows 10?
Every Windows operating system has a lifecycle. We’ll keep you updated on important lifecycle dates. We can help you make informed decisions about when to update, upgrade or make other changes to your software or hardware.
If you found this article helpful, we have many more that we publish monthly in Our Blog.